- 3 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 2 gallons of water
- The peels of 3 oranges
- 3 big sprigs of rosemary
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 5 whole bay leaves
- 3 tbls mixed peppercorns (or black peppercorns if you can't find the blend)
1 ½ cups kosher salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, and stir to make sure the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Turn the heat off and allow it to cool completely.
- Put your turkey in a vessel large enough to fit it or use a brining bag and pour the cooled brine in with the turkey.
- Refrigerate for 16-24 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and soak it in fresh, cool water for 10-15 minutes to remove the excess salt.
- Take your turkey out of the soaking bath and pat it dry.
- Continue to our Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe!